Thursday, December 02, 2004

You ARE the Father!!

The work is seriously piling up right now. Lucky for me, though, two of my three classes will be over by Tuesday, leaving me with only the Spanish final and delivering slide projectors to classrooms. It might be time for me to have a computer-free weekend so that I can concentrate on this work. One would think that I haven't been using the computer since I haven't posted in so long, but I have been usnig it a lot, you know...for other things. Let's leave it at that.

I actually wrote this post about the Maury Povich show while I was at work. I love those jobs where you can sleep during work hours or do homework or write Blogger posts. Then again, I guess that's why I get paid $7.80/hour. Have you seen it? There are only 3 or 4 topics ever: unruly children, believe-it-or-not couples, cheating couples and the crown jewel of trash talk show topics...PATERNITY TESTS REVEALED!! Nothing beats paternity tests revealed, but it's sooo bad. Can you imagine talking to your parents one day and your Mom says she went on Maury when you were a year old to find out which of three possible guys was your father?? It's crazy, I tell you.

So the Mom comes in some guy and she always wants him to be the father, but she's not certain if he actually is. She has 3 possible reactions based on the paternity test results:
Remember, the mom always wants a positive test result!
Guy wants + test/Test is +: Mom feels Joyous
Guy wants - test/Test is +: Mom feels Vengeful
Negative test always yields: Mom feels Embarrassed

And for the guys, there are 4 possible reactions.
Guy wants +/Test is +: Guy feels Joyous
Guy wants +/Test is -: Guy feels Sad
Guy wants -/Test is +: Guy feels Embarrassed
Guy wants -/Test is -: Guy feels Avenged (then he gets to yell "Yeah, you fuckin' slut" on national television...great for the kids.

What is the motivation for these emotions? Isn't that horrible if one's parents are ashamed of themselves or sparring with one another? I'm not saying that uncertainty about paternity indicts everyone involved as bad or irresponsible, but to take the issue on Maury is an indictment on the parents' sensibilities. I wish those kids luck.

These shows are trash. They hardly deserve this sort of analysis/celebration. They are pretty entertaining, though. Guess that's why they're still on the air.

2 Comments:

Blogger whatupthen said...

The List from my Memory - TRASH TALK SHOWS ONLY!!

Tempestt
Sally Jessy Raphael
Gordon Elliott
Richard Bey
Rolonda Watts
Jerry Springer
Gayle King
Maury Povich
Bertice Berry
Geraldo
Ricki Lake
Montel Williams

Aw, growing up was good.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kid sleeps in the sock drawer.

6:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home