Thursday, March 17, 2005

Last Day

Back at the Stan-Stan, students customarily had three hours for finals. That was the assumption when I stepped in to take the wildlife biology exam at 8:30 this morning. But right around 9:05 the guy who told me the story about how he smashed his testicles on a stairway railing while trying to do tricks on his BMX got up and submitted his test. I believe in the abilities of all people, but let's just say I wouldn't have pegged this guy to finish a 3-hour exam in 30 minutes...well, not while I was still on page two. A mysterious seed of doubt had been planted in my mind, however, and it grew when a couple more students turned in their exams a few minutes later. It was time to go to the front of the room and take action.

Chris: [whisper] "How long do we have for this test?"
TA Proctor: "Ends at 10:30."

SHEEEEEEEIT.

So one hour for the first 2 pages, followed by one hour for the next 6. I know my responses for the questions I answered were all correct, but of course I didn't answer all of the questions. Once that building bell rings, other students flood into the classroom like male enhancement emails. What are they so excited about, anyway?

Well, enough about that. Quarter's over. Got to celebrate with some noontime basketball before work. Washington was playing, but there was no need to watch since it's the whole 1-seed versus 16-seed deal. Playing was a real delight, though. As many Eastern European guys as there are in the NBA and I don't think I've ever played with one...until today! He was our center; just like Zydrunas Illgauskas. Big and slow, yet powerful. He hit his jumpers, he made some passes that make you say "nifty" and he had some crazy little contortionist pivots to score. I love meeting people from outside the U.S. This guy kept talking to me about the status of the game:

"Maybe you should guard him. He is too quick for me."
"I got his arm before I got the ball."
"You pass to me after we switch."

Maybe I'm not communicating it right, but I was cracking up because I never have these little conversations while playing pickup with random gym guys. Maybe I was laughing because he was being so friendly (how horrible!). It reminds me of when the African guy walks up to me and asks me if I'm from Africa because I guess I look African. No, but I like eating at The Blue Nile? Maybe? Yes? Or maybe it was the general giddyness from it being the last day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home