Friday, July 22, 2005

Sign Your Name

My Korean roommate wants to change his name to something a little more U.S.-sounding to placate everyone when he applies for jobs. Not that Jae-woo isn't common here (Seattle, you know), but I can understand. There aren't too many Jae-woos in U.S. popular culture. Something told me to suggest he change it to the most difficult-to-pronounce, squint-your-eyes-when-you-read-it, "This applicant certainly isn't white!" name he could possibly think of just so that he could spite the corporate U.S., but in the end I was too lazy. Plus, it's more fun to think of names I actually know.

Jae gave me his suggestions. We eliminated Jeremy because it sounded too much like a kid's name. John was cut because it is too nondescript. Kennedy seemed like he would be trying too hard to fit in. Russell was my only contribution and it's still under consideration, as are Lucas and Victor.

On an idiotic note, how cool would it be if some parent named their kid Batman? I know, I know...that's way too dumb. But it seems like famous people can get away with naming their kids Apple and Rumer and Tallulah (what Bruce Willis' other kid's name?) and True. I want ordinary, everyday people to be brave enough to give their kids uncommon, original and even outlandish coined names. Oh wait, I'd forgotten about the Black community! I'm not being disingenuous at all when I thank the parents of the Dwyanes and LaBradfords and JoJuans. You're helping to make this world a more dynamic place.

3 Comments:

Blogger Humor Girl said...

Just saying hi! BTW....Again, I LOVE the audios! :)

I think I'll name my kid spiderman.

11:52 AM  
Blogger Bar L. said...

I like the name Jae-Woo but it would be SO FUN to pick out a new name. My name is really lame, so I renamed myself "Layla" when I got my first fake ID (which was over 20 years ago - I'm OLD now).

My favorite name is Lemonjello. At first I thought it was pronounced Lemon Jello - but it's La Mon Jell Oh

8:22 PM  
Blogger Pinoy TV said...

Watch Pinoy TV Replay Pinoy Tambayan website to watch all Pinoy1tv shows of Pinoy Tv Channel Online.Pinoy TV | Pinoy Channel | Pinoy Tambayan | GMA Pinoy TV | ofwpinoytvako

12:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home