Friday, July 01, 2005

To Be Continued

this is an audio post - click to play
Just like old times...

I'm upstairs in my Mom's walk-in closet typing on the iMac. It's nice to be back at home in the Haystack for the holiday weekend. It'll be my last respite before the project is due and everything else that needs to be done for me to END SCHOOL FOREVER!! Unless I start missing campus life and get motivated for that doctorate.

Remind me, someone, to stop flying Southwest Airlines. That open seating policy reminds me of junior high school all over again. By the time I board the plane, I walk down the aisle to find only middle seats available, people avoiding eye contact and purses and bags placed in spots where I might want to sit. And wouldn't it be faster and more orderly to have assigned seating anyway instead of playing that game? Plus, I can't stand the flight attendants wearing shorts.

These are little things I'm complaining about but I don't think it was because of any crankiness. I must have been in a good mood because I actually started a conversation with the woman sitting next to me. Talking with my neighbor on a flight is something is absolutely DREAD and I know I'm not alone in that regard. So what, pray tell, was it that inspired me to be sociable on an airliner? Oh, you know! Come on, say it with me now...she was ROCK SOLID. Is it perhaps time to retire my 70s-era lingo? She had an accent so I asked her where she was from, which is really all I wanted to know but she hit me with something to the effect of: "I'm from Brazil but I'm staying a year in Seattle and my sister just came up and visited me and we're going to stay with a family who we know in San Francisco. I've never been there but they've lived there for 14 years and I'm really excited to see the Golden Gate Bridge and we're not staying right in San Francisco, I don't think...where it is we're staying, Isabella? Fairfax. Fair-FIELD? No, she says it's Fairfax but I think we'll go back and forth so where are you from?" I pointed to the ground and that was about all the conversation I could stand.

The Lakers' new draft pick, Andrew Bynum, has a page on MySpace that is your typical teenager web production. Eric noted that Bynum answered one of those quiz questions: "Hot Topic or Abercrombie & Fitch?" with the incredibly accurate reply, "Neither, I'm Black (and part Cherokee)." And, in my recent post (about my little episode with the razor) I made a crack at Abercrombie and race. I've mentioned this before, but it still just boggles my mind how people can run and individuals can support such a blatantly racist company. It's no secret...I know it and Andrew Bynum knows it. I'm sure there are a ton of other racist and/or morally reprehensible companies out there. I only mention A&F because it's on my mind and it seems to be so...celebrated. Okay, Dad wants to go to sleep. This post is to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home