Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Variety Pak

this is an audio post - click to play
Everyone has crazy bus stories but today was something I had never heard before. Evidently, the horn on the bus was broken and so it would sound loudly, intermittently and often. It was hilarious to look at the faces of passing motorists who all probably wondered why the bus was honking at them. You know, that or whether the driver was on that street drug, Ritalin. The best was when the bus had stopped at an intersection and honked the shit out of pedestrians in the crosswalk who all looked puzzled or enraged while the driver could only shrug his shoulders. I tell you, it's the little things that make life enjoyable.

As usual, I have a ton of notes for things I'd like to blog about but with nothing new on the site to show for it. I will say that I finally downloaded Audacity in order to seriously produce some audio. Once I get the hang of it there will be some pretty nice segments to listen to. So, here are my notes in lieu of a real post. After I submit my thesis to my professors, I'm sure no one will be able to pry me away from the computer.

Puma/SOoo Fast - All three of the commercials (I think it's worth it to click through, but that's just me) are brilliant. I've never seen anyone wearing Pumas that didn't look incredibly hip. Really, despite seeing hundreds of shirts, pants, sweatsuits and pairs of shoes...in all colors...for men and women...my eyes still pop out of my head every time I see them.

The Closer - Dude, that's my show. It's not that great. Very annoying when Kyra Sedgwick figures out the mystery but doesn't see fit to explain the crime to her fellow detectives. Of course, they all find out in the end with the rest of the audience. It's entertaining enough, though, and with a little bit of the comic relief that is missing from Law & Order.

Today's comedy - Every Wedding Crashers film review seems to discuss the contemporary oeuvre of Wilson, Ferrell, Stiller and Vaughn. You know the movies: Starsky & Hutch, Dodgeball, Old School, Zoolander, etc. Some have been better than others, but it is kinda nice to bear witness to a series like this. I mean, those movies are the defining comedies of the last few years, right? Ooh, that's not good. Anyway, who are the best comedians of this generation? I should do it Bill Simmons-style. Are there different categories for sketch, standup, TV and film comics? Do any women make the cut? In about 30 seconds of thought this topic warrants, I came up with the four aforementioned guys along with Dave Chappelle and Chris Rock. In the near future, I'll talk to some people and try to create a top 25. Hopefully there are some comedy purists out there who can put me in my place.

Indecipherables - It seems today I've seen a preponderance of men and women who look like members of the opposite sex. So much that I've had to get right next to each one as we pass on the street and look him/her right in the eyes...or chest or hips or what-have-you. It's strange how often this happened today. They've all been different, some looking like men or boys or Gwyneth Paltrow. By my humble estimation, some ugly, some beautiful but all indecipherable until that last moment where I slap myself on the head and exclaim, "Oh!" At this point, the people struggle to decipher my sanity.

Control your dog - Fucking dog owners use a goddamn leash. I'm not getting bitten again. I like dogs, I really do. But if Lassie comes charging like she did last year, it's gonna be her, not me.

Fucking Nancy Grace - I knew I shouldn't have tried watching cable news.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home