Wednesday, June 08, 2005

What's Shakin'?

this is an audio post - click to play

Take a look around outside or think back in your mind's eye about how men under age 35 greet each other. Does a single ritual come to mind? To narrow it down, think of, say...any jock types or guys enmeshed in hip-hop culture. Their greeting and farewell is more than a wave or hello or traditional handshake; it 's the open palm clasp or handslap or clasp leading to a split-second hug or often times even a multistep handshake, the more elaborate signifying the closeness of the friendship or affiliation. I sound like a real graduate student when I break down everyday occurrences in that way but it's not to make fun of the way men greet. I have no evidence, but I know it's derived from people of color. Hell, you KNOW it's us. And it's really important; the act, I believe, has transcended the symbolization of brotherhood among Black people to now symbolize masculinity among everyone who uses it. Or maybe it's just been co-opted. Anyway, the physical contact and the act of sharing the ritual is unifying. And make no mistake, it's a masculine thing. Giving a traditional businessman's handshake to a 12-year old would seem patronizing, but raise your hand, look in the kid's eyes and clasp and it's a message of equality. I'm not sure how well I'm expressing it here but perhaps the sense of brotherhood can only be conveyed with the act itself. I've learned a couple of new handshakes from the kids at the ECC that I think would behoove my friends to pick up, if only to symbolize our friendship.

In other news, I'd like to submit Enigma's Return To Innocence as a dark horse entry for Most Ridiculous Song of the Past 20 Years. And yes, I'm listening to the 13 minute, 9 second extended version right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home