Thursday, June 02, 2005

Resealable Bubble

this is an audio post - click to play

Headed to Safeway after work to grab a sandwich for dinner. Safeway Deli is great; they make made-to-order sandwiches with all of those good meats and cheeses and sprouts and avocado and whatever-the-hell-else you want on it...and still for less $$ than Subway. Maybe it doesn't quite warrant such a high level of astonishment because it's not like delicatessens outside of the corporate umbrella haven't been serving up delicious sandwiches for hundreds of years, but it works for me.

There was a fire truck and an ambulance parked outside Safeway as I walked up. A young woman was collapsed in one of the aisles and...well, it didn't look too pleasant. I stole a bunch of furtive glances as I zipped around the store, getting water and canned fruit to go along with the sandwich. Two things: it was scary to see the woman so motionless; had someone attacked her or did she have a seizure or was she drunk, maybe? Second, it was a bit surreal (wait, lemme look that up and make sure I'm using it correctly...okay, yeah, that's close enough) to find everyone just going about their business. That's the only thing one can do, though, right? I suppose the situation was being addressed, but it just seemed like a little reminder of our impersonal society, you know? Anyway, as I left the store, the homeless man selling Real Change told me she had had a seizure. So, after that moment of concern I've returned to my selfish enclosure.

Audio bird identification exam at 7am tomorrow. Better start studying.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home