Monday, May 16, 2005

Dusty Lake Trip

The Dusty Lake field trip wasn't nearly as fun as our class' first two field trips to Olympic National Park and San Juan Island. Desert environment, a ton of mosquitoes and a ton of ants. No cabin this time; everyone pitched a tent outside in the brush minutes after we arrived at the campsite. Everyone except me, that is. The 6-7 person family tent I borrowed from Kristian was missing poles, and of course I didn't notice this until we were three and a half hours from Seattle because I didn't realize what components were necessary to pitch a tent. Yes, there's a dirty joke to be said there.

If I were totally immature I would have identified my oversight as a golden opportunity to make nice with some of the women in my class because really I had nowehere to sleep and there's no question the mere act of sleeping in each other's close proximity would undoubtedly fetch me dates and lovin' for, well...until the end of the quarter, but that's incredibly foolish. Plus, none of them had room. I ended up bunking with Devon (shown below) in his 2-person tent. Turned out as something of a blessing in disguise because I'd never spoken with Devon at length before this past weekend but he seems to be generally a decent guy. In fact, that's my wifebeater he's wearing in the photo.



Check out the Dusty Lake area. I call it Grand Canyon, Jr. because these high rocky walls surround an expansive valley. It's quite lovely.







Make no mistake, this thing is fucking HUGE.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home