Tuesday, May 18, 2004

The Spectator and the Daleks

For a good chunk of the afternoon I was sitting in the massive library computer lab getting my Power Point on. I was also looking at people (female) working on their assignments or otherwise chatting, spending time or passing though. First, let me tell you about the lab. It's definitely one of the social centers of the campus, although as a graduate center who doesn't know anybody I feel somewhat out of the loop. Everyone is in there working or playing or smoking outside and it's always very populated. In fact, it's a 24-hour facility and I've witnessed it still going strong at 7am. That was back during fall quarter when I was getting my feet wet and didn't know how to finish papers by, oh...say 4am.

Okay, so I'm sitting and looking...and I'm appalled at what young women are wearing these days! Well, not at what they're wearing. I am not gonna complain about seeing skin, boobs and body art. Which gets me to thinking...my cell phone is kinda old -- maybe I should get one of those cameraphones??! My problem is with the uniformity. I know in college, people aren't far removed from high school and adolescence and the pressure to fit in but, seriously, it's like an army of fucking low-rise jeans and spaghetti straps. Especially jeans. I don't buy the whole "jeans are my workhorse/everyday clothes" argument. I've been watching "What Not To Wear" on TLC and Stacy London would kick some ass after hearing that. Or scoff and be speechless, who knows? But dust off a skirt or hook up some sweats and go sporty. Anything but the same old thing! Same goes for the guys. Take off your jeans and sit in my lap. Huh?? I mean, take off your jeans and put on some motherfucking Dockers, man. Or go Rocawear or at least a button-down shirt. I know I sound so stupid for ranting of such a trivial thing but sameness really makes me angry. Let's overcome sameness, everyone. Let's bring variety into everything that we do. I'm gonna switch directions on my bed tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home