Sunday, April 10, 2005

1-for-Psyching Myself Up

this is an audio post - click to play

It's the little things: Safeway had a 2-for-1 sale on 96oz. Minute Maid orange juice. I drink so much orange juice and the 96-ouncer is amazing! It seems no matter how many glasses are guzzled, there's still MORE JUICE! It's virtually neverending. And get this...there's another 96-ounce jug YET TO BE OPENED. If there is a heaven and it really is like a characterized, idealized life on Earth there will be plenty of fresh-squeezed orange juice...selling 3-for-1, dammit.

Last week, a student who shows a surprisingly high (that is to say, more than zero) interest in my love life expressed alarm when informed that I haven't dated anyone since I've been in Seattle. She said: "You're handsome, you're funny. What's wrong with you?"* To which I could only smile. She's so charming with that delicate Dr. Phil touch. But I appreciate her concern. That's 20 months for those tallying numbers. I know that was a damning statistic, but its meaning was amplified this weekend when I attended the Cambodian New Year dinner, dance and celebration on campus. It was an incredible event; entire families were there, but for a slew of reasons I couldn't get a date/buddy to accompany me. But, no, I didn't feel self-conscious at all sitting at a table with my director (and his wife), my co-director (and her husband) and my immediate boss (and his girlfriend). Even when the dance began and the thirtysomethings started to ship out, the director told me to "stick around and get you a girl, WhatUpThen!"** Why does everyone have input all of a sudden?

So now that I've been summoned to rise from this relationship-free stupor, I will do so. Mine those prospects 'til I can shout "Eureka, I have found it!" (CA state motto; my family owned an encyclopedia set when I was a kid). Plus, I certainly don't want to leave this city with a sense of defeat. Hey, I'm 2-for-3 in the got-your-own apartment/job/car qualifier, so I'm good to go. Enough window shopping, time to make a purchase. Ooh, maybe I'll run across a nice 2-for-1 deal!

*verbatim
**verbatim; name changed to protect the incredible

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home