Thursday, January 13, 2005

Don't Be Ridiculous

In the Seattle P-I today it says Kraft Foods will scale back advertising on some of its high-sugar and high-fat foods for kids like Capri Sun and Oreos in response to concerns about U.S. childhood obesity. The funny part, though: "Kraft won't cease all advertising of fatty, sugary products such as Lunchables and Pebbles cereal, however -- TV ads for such products will still be seen during adult and family shows such as "According to Jim." The only thing...they forgot to put quotation marks around the word "adult". I'm sure everyone watching "According to Jim" has the sophistication of a nine-year old, so it sounds like a good advertising strategy.

Now that it's on my mind, TGIF has been crap television ever since I was a kid. I looked it up on Wikipedia and they have quite a bit of information on it. I mean, look, when you've been on the air for 14 years (since 1988 but with a 3-season hiatus) and your crowning achievement is Balki Bartokomous...let's just say you haven't been performing a service for the community. Here are some TGIF "highlights" if you don't feel like clicking over:

Sabrina, The Teenage Witch
Hangin' With Mr. Cooper
Full House                   Perfect Strangers
Mr. Belvedere              Family Matters
Step By Step                
Boy Meets World - btw, Ben Savage went to my school. I heard he's a jackass.


Sadly, this is the greatest character ever on TGIF

But there's no shortage of trash television today, evidently. In that same issue of the P-I is an article about the TV midseason. Undeterred by the ban on cameras in the courtroom for Michael Jackson's upcoming trial, E! is gonna re-enact each day of the trial using actors. They'll be using the court transcript as their...well, script. All I can think is that the actor (actress, perhaps, since MJ is 5'10" and something like 120 lbs.? Maybe whomever placed second on America's Next Top Model) playing Michael Jackson will get some good career exposure. Otherwise, well...I guess it's good I don't watch a ton of TV these days.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is your best post yet. Even though you didn't mention Cousin Larry Appleton.

9:33 PM  
Blogger whatupthen said...

Hu Hu! I've recently been informed that Fred Savage, not just Ben, also went to my school at the same time as me. Although I hold Ben in lower esteem than child stars Maureen Flanagan, Corey Feldman, Wil Wheaton, Mayim Bialik, Jason and Justine Bateman and the greatest child star of all time, Macaulay Culkin...Fred does have a special place in my heart.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

Balky! I love balky.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home