Tuesday, January 04, 2005

Step Into My Office

From Wildlife Biology Lab:

When the Eastern Salamander mates with the Western Salamander they sometimes produce infertile offspring. But even if fertile, the offspring can have a tough time finding a mate because its courtship methods are out of whack. Neither Eastern nor Western salamanders will recognize or respond to its behaviors --> Hey, that sounds like some people I know! Shit.

I write this while sitting in the back of Epidemiology 513, taping the class for my Classroom Services job. But I won't be working here much longer. In fact, when I get off in about 2 hours I'm telling my boss I quit. "Why?" you much be asking yourself. It's because I got a new job, baby! Graduate Staff Assistant in tha HAAAAAAAOOOOOUSE!! It pays 2.5 times what I'm paid at Classroom Services and with the same hours! It's located on the same block as my apartment! It pays my tuition! I have an office! Did you read that last sentence? I HAVE AN OFFICE!!! Now all I need is a secretary...

Seriously, though, this is a big thing for me. I'm going to be advising all 36 student groups affiliated with the Ethnic Cultural Center on campus and helping them put on their events. I'm going to have to know a lot of people and do a lot of work; it's certainly more involved than any other job I've had. But it really is time. There are many ways I feel I haven't proven myself to other and to me, but I'm ready (oh so ready) to do this.

Fuck, how am I gonna face my boss about quitting Classroom Services? By the time I write this will have already quit, but it's so bad to quit so abruptly and unexpectedly like this. Reminds me of another situation, actually...well, no, it's not quite the same. Oh well, gotta do what you gotta do. I'm sure this job will produce many blogworthy people and stories and stories about people.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(i realize this comes a day late, but whatever.)just quit. it is good to practice quitting. it is good to practice saying no to people and doing what is best for you. i realize this may be a difficult task and may seem tedious for many reasons, but i really recommend just saying kindly but firmly (true mary poppins style right there). say "word, i got a better job" and poof! you are done with it all. someday it might be fun to take a job and then quit the next day just to get use to the idea. the world doesn't end when you quit, no matter how you do it. the world keeps going and life finds a way around your very minor inconvienience. can't spell that word, sorry. too lazy to look it up right now. the problem with quitting is people feel like they are letting someone down. but really you are just opening up a door for someone else while you yourself go onto bigger and better things. so booyah!

2:11 PM  
Blogger whatupthen said...

Wow! Such sage words from a masked man. Predictably, I copped out on the whole confronting my boss thing so you're not too late. Tomorrow your suggestions will be applied!

3:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job! Free tuition is definitely awesome. And more responsibility is always a good thing.

Use the office wisely and don't let it go to your head too much.

4:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home