Sunday, May 23, 2004

Dreaming of Saint Patrick's Day

Hey girl. Sorry to hear that spinning the wheel has caused you such pain. But if I were with you, you know I'd take care of it.

I like John Mayer for a couple of reasons. For one, there's the gentle movement of his music from Room for Squares. There are also his young man-pertinent romantic life lyrics. But, perhaps most of all, I like him because he sings in my range. My voice is very low (I sing bass) and I can do some Prince-style falsetto, but there's a whole middle, tenor range that I just can't hit without singing at the top of my lungs or sounding like Michael Bolton...wait, that's the same thing. It's difficult to find popular male singers in that lower register and you can forget it as far as women singers are concerned.

So "St. Patrick's Day" has been on single repeat in my Discman all day yesterday and today. It's track 14 on Room for Squares. Listen to it, it's really good. I can see myself singing in a Las Vegas lounge. Nothing big. Just one of the maybe 5 or 6 located in some minor corridor of Bally's. I have a drummer, bassist, guitar and piano behind me...or maybe just a keyboard and a drummer. And we'd go through our nightly set but always play St. Patrick's Day at the end. It would be our signature tune. And maybe write the lyrics on little cards to put on every table so that everyone could sing along. It's that kind of song. I'd love to make this happen at least one time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home